HOW TO ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY, INDULGE A LITTLE, KEEP YOUR RESULTS AND COME HOME READY TO WORK HARD
We have all been there, we train so hard to lose weight for our summer holiday and when we land all sense seems to go out the window.
We over indulge, we move less, we drink more and end up coming home more tanned but much bigger than the day we arrived.
Then we start to regret what we did a little; we lose motivation to train as the urgent goal you trained for was achieved. You go back to old habits and by Christmas you realise you are right back where you started 12 months ago.
It’s a viscous cycle that we see all the time and it can be hard to break the mould, change your habits and create new goals to see you through the rest of the year.
When it comes to your summer holiday –
I am not saying you have to eat clean.
I am not saying you have to keep dieting.
I am not saying you have to hit the gym 4 times a week.
I am not saying you can’t have a cocktail or 2.
I am not saying you can’t eat out and live a little.
Holidays are meant to be enjoyed!
What I am saying is that maybe you can do it different this year.
Do want to change your lifestyle and holiday habits, come home happy, healthy and still leaner than you normally would??
Do you want to come home rested, tanned and motivated to continue your health and fitness journey?
Some suggestions for you
- If you are all inclusive – Don’t over-do it at breakfast or lunch. Stick to what you would normally eat and avoid a fry up every day.
- Save your calories for the evening meal out and drinks – by eating less at breakfast and lunch you can afford to indulge more at night.
- Go for a morning walk 30-60 mins – either before or after breakfast.
- Go for an evening walk 30-60 mins – a great way to boost steps if you have been sitting by the pool or at the beach all day.
- Do a 20-30 min training session – if you have a gym or any space a quick body weight workout can help keep you active, increase your total daily energy expenditure, and keep you motivated. See our holiday workouts on the Fitness Hub 21 YouTube page.
- Be sensible – keep in mind how hard you worked to get where you are and make food choices that are smart but allow you to enjoy your holiday. E.g. do you really need ice cream and cocktails every day?
- Set a goal for your health and fitness before you leave – So often we fail to set a goal post holiday around our exercise and health.
GOAL SETTING BEFORE AND AFTER YOUR HOLIDAY
Before you set off on your trip maybe you could set yourself a few goals for the holiday to keep you accountable and on track.
Goals such as
To be sensible while you are away – be mindful but still have a good time.
To train 3 times a week 20-30 min sessions.
To walk every day morning or evening.
To pick lower calorie alcohol options.
To save your calories for the evening meal.
KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE
Before you leave can I suggest that you make some goals around your training for when you get back. The biggest thing I see post-holiday is members not returning to training and going back to their old habits. By Christmas they find themselves back where they started and wishing they had of stuck with it.
Health and fitness are a journey and while it is good to have more urgent goals like a wedding or a holiday; you have to see the bigger picture and start planning for where you want to be next summer.
The best way to set these goals is to find a place to train that makes fitness fun but effective. That has a great community of people just like you that you can share the journey with. A place that provides support and structure that allows you to improve and get the results you want.
So, enjoy your holiday, have fun, laugh a lot, don’t get too burnt and come back ready to continue what you started.
If you want to know more about how you can get started on our 30 day trial contact Lisa firstname.lastname@example.org